How to plant, grow and care for your new Zinnia flowers:
Zinnias are one of the easiest plants to grow, as they grow quickly and bloom heavily. Zinnia flowers make a massive burst of color in your garden, and they attract butterflies. You should really grow zinnia from seed, as they do not like to be transplanted as nursery plants and do not often thrive. From seed, they will grow very quickly in the right conditions.
Easy growing steps:
- Choose a location that gets full sun.
- Sow zinnia seeds only ¼-inch deep.
- Space plants 4 to 24 inches apart (or just sprinkle!)
- You’ll see zinnia seedlings in as little as 4 to 7 days!
- They should be take 60 to 70 days for full bloom.
How to care for your flowers:
- Pinch off dead zinnia flowers at stem to prolong flowering.
- Maintain moderate soil moisture and fertilize lightly.
- Zinnias are annuals and will die with the first frost.
- Minimize wetting of foliage to avoid disease.
- Avoid spraying and tolerate some leaf damage unless the situation is uncontrolled.
- Luckily, zinnias are deer-resistant, so they might help keep nearby flowers from being eaten.